Sunday, January 18, 2015

Monitor Field Node Version 2

 Sensor Field Node 2 got an upgrade to Version 2. The upgrade is a pretty decent size one. It includes the following:

  1. 3D printed enclosure
  2. Second temperature sensor to measure ambient air temps 
Version 2 components disassembled on top. Version 3(yet to be deployed) on bottom.
Version 2 is on the top. Version 3 on the bottom. Notice Version 3's ambient temperature hood compared to Version 2.
Plenty of room in the electronics bay.

Version 2's ambient temperature probe. Version 3 has a hood that covers the probe but still allows exposure to ambient air.

Nodes deployed in the field. Node 2 is still the "old school" plastic ziploc container. It will be getting an upgrade to Version 3 this week
Node 1 Version 2 by itself

The Nodes in the field all by themselves

 The enclosure is further getting refined and a new "skinner" form factor is on the horizon that reduces the volume electronics bay. See the temps here:

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Monitor Node

We have a working Monitor Node with a temperature sensor that reports to a Mother Node. My buddy Dicky did some really EXCELLENT working on getting these going and implementing some great functionality.  It reports temperature right now. However, it will be expanded with more sensors in the near future. The solar powered Monitor Node is shown below.
Monitor Node
The Mother Node is wirelessly connected to the Monitor Nodes. The Mother Node then connects over wifi to my home network to upload the data to the internet.
Mother node
 The data, temp and voltage levels, from the Monitor Nodes can be seen here and here. I have 2 nodes and Dicky has 2 nodes. See below for some sample temp and voltage plots that were generated.
36 hour temp reading(*NOTE*the drop in Node 1 is moving from the inside our master bathroom to the garage)

Voltage data(*NOTE*, you can tell when the sun rises and the photo-voltaics are going )
My Monitor Node 1 is deployed in the garage and Monitor Node 2 is in field measuring soil temps near the garlic and  shallots.

See below, for Monitor Node 2 getting ready for the outdoors with some AWESOME outdoor water resistant packaging....... a plastic Ziploc container. Yes, that is rice being used as a desiccant, sprinkled very liberally by the way.
Monitor Node getting prepared for the outdoors
A cover and some RTV and we are ready to go!

Deployed  taking soil temps 2" down near the edge of the planted garlic mulch. 
Another deployed pic

Next steps, is to finish 3D printing the external packaging to ditch the awesome Ziploc plastic container. A preliminary go around ended like this. As you can tell it failed spectacularly.  Hopefully, today I will have a portion of the external packaging complete.
Failed external packaging 3D print

Saturday, January 3, 2015

A Slight Update

Well, I finally got to be able to walk on my foot again back in November; It was a long 3 months. In the mean time during those 3 months we harvested 36 Sweet Crimson watermelons for a total around 450lbs.

We also harvested some Jack of Lantern pumpkins, that barely matured in time for Halloween.
It was extremely mild for November and December here. We planted some Duganski and Susanville garlic cloves in November in addition to some Gray shallots. I had some little helpers that made it easier for me. I am really excited to try the Duganski garlic, it had a great "garlic'ly" smell.

The first skiff of snow happened on December 2nd, notice the hefty mulch for the garlic and shallots.

We also completed the garden survey basically measuring the field and relevant landmarks so we can do a proper layout for the vegetable garden, small orchard, strawberry and raspberry patches. The layout is approximately 50% complete and the 1st draft should be completed around the end of next week. That is it for now. However, we have some exciting things coming up that we'll talk about soon.