Wednesday, July 12, 2017

2017 Garlic and Shallots

So, I was inspired by Masanobu Fukuoka treatsie "One Straw Revolution" to try a few things in the garlic and shallot patch.  My goal was to spend no more than 2 hours of work TOTAL from planting to harvesting the garlic and shallots, use organic fertilizers, and mulch with straw.  Well, I did it with only 5 water turns too. The shallots turned out great. Some of the largest best tasting shallots I have grown. The garlic did 50/50. The hardneck varieties of Music and Duganski did fairly well.  However, the soft neck Susanville and Red Italian Late did not fare as well.  All of the garlic and shallots are currently curing. I will pick the best and largest garlic and shallot bulbs to be replanted this fall.


Garlic and Shallot patch with heavy straw


HARVEST 

No comments:

Post a Comment